So anyways, here is an update. We got the cabinets and floor in and they look wonderful. It was funny, we saved two boxes of our flooring way back when because we knew one day we would redo the kitchen and it was perfect. We had to use every last board but we made it work. We now have one nice floor through out the living areas. I am so proud of all the work my beloved has done. It is tough working full time as a teacher and then come home and have to work on the house. It has taken us longer than we thought because it was harder than we thought. Super well worth it though!
Here are some pictures of what we have done since the last update:
We choose these lovely Adel Cabinets from Ikea. I have used Ikea cabinets in my classroom and was super impressed on how well they handle the kids and science equipment. I have had them in class for two years of abuse and they still look great with no scratches. Can't say that about much of anything else in my class. We are hard on stuff. :) We went with a brown because we wanted a nice homey look. We liked the white, but I worried that it looked cheap. We had to make two trips to IKEA. So the picture we had from their program had the right sized cabinet, but when we went to put it in, we had bought a smaller one? Somehow the IKEA helper had changed it to a smaller size. It's ok, we went from two glass doors on the upper cabinets to the left to three cabinets with wood doors. I kept hearing from everyone that they are easier to clean than the glass.
To make the cabinet above the fridge, Erik had to build a contraption. Since I am terribly short, we wanted the cabinet to be the same depth as the fridge so I could get into it. Erik built a frame for the cabinet to sit in and then nailed it to the wall. We then attached the side wood panels to hide the fridge. The cabinet then just slides into its slot and looks great.
I was put in charge of putting insides into all of the drawers and cabinets. This lazy susan was quite the trial to put together. It was really heavy and everything had to really line up. The trick is to crawl in the cabinet, lay down, and then put the top piece in. The bottom piece required prayer and some luck. Got them in though. They kinda rubbed on the inside wall, but if you adjust them by tugging on them they work better and stop rubbing.
Post a Comment